AAS staff was so excited to welcome back Huddle A students to campus yesterday and look forward to Huddle B students arriving on campus this morning. It was truly a first-day experience with lots of smiles and happiness, and all looking forward to what comes with the beginning of a new school year.
Our students were outstanding in engaging with one another while recognizing and adapting to the new learning environment. While reminders to keep masks over noses were needed, the masks did not create challenges for re-engaging with one another, and the students were social distancing as required. Thank you to parents for your support in sharing the safety video with your children so that they knew what to expect when they arrived on campus. AAS staff will continue to support everyone in these new expectations for health and safety and ensure our students feel comfortable as the newness of the first day goes away, and we settle into the Hybrid model for the immediate future.
AAS will be making an adjustment to our DAILY PASSES. You will soon receive an updated DAILY PASS template with your child’s name prefilled. As of Monday, September 14, students will no longer have to be excluded from campus for 14 days if their family member returns from travel abroad, tested negative for covid, and is showing no symptoms. If a student travels abroad, then that student will still be required to complete a 14 day quarantine and they will not be allowed on campus until that is finished, regardless of covid tests being negative.
Our teams are closely monitoring the daily sharing of information within our own community. As of last Friday, we had 135 (~14.9%) students schoolwide whose families have not been able to return to Moscow. In addition, we were pleased with the very few students who had not completed the daily passes yesterday. We appreciate this support from parents so that we can efficiently screen students and let them get to their classrooms. Also, with the opening of all Russian schools on September 1, slightly more than a week ago today, AAS is following the possible impact this opening could have on Covid-19 cases in Moscow with an influx of hundreds of thousands of individuals into school spaces that have been physically closed since mid-March.
Yesterday was our first concrete opportunity to test the real-time video and audio technology with students on campus and off-campus. Not all classrooms planned to use this technology in the first two days; however, this approach will be implemented as we move forward for most learning spaces by the end of this week, along with delayed video access for those in time zones further away from Moscow. We are all still learning and will continue to refine, enhance, and expand as teachers and students engage. We are also expecting several tool upgrades by the later part of September that allows educators to group students like they do in the classroom and work together in “break out” rooms. This will enhance the engagement between students on campus and those off-campus.
AAS values our partnership with parents in the learning of our students. Please do not hesitate to reach out if we can provide support for your child or if you have suggestions as we move forward with Hybrid Learning.
HS Associate Principal, Matthew Groves email@example.com
Lauren Zimmerman firstname.lastname@example.org supports students with last names beginning with A-K
The HS Counselors have been on hand this week to welcome new students, make schedule changes and meet with students regarding university applications. It was an exciting morning to welcome students from Huddle A to school and to have the Peer Helpers there to welcome new students and show them to their advisory classrooms. Though things may look a bit different around school there was a reassuringly “normal” feel to the day as students lit up upon seeing peers and staff alike.
University Counseling: If you are wondering about university planning and what you can do to support your child, please go to our university counseling page on our school website. It is a wealth of information and you can get a tour of the website here.
Support from counselors: Please know that we are also here to support students and families in navigating the challenges of the long-term stress we are all under. This article gives some tips for parents about how to recognize the signs of long-term stress and some ideas about how to help your child manage it as well. If you have concerns regarding your child, please feel free to reach out to us.
Please visit Kris and K’s “digital libraries."
- Parents register their students for the PL programs of their choice
- Students attend on the days when their Huddle comes on campus. Each Activity and Sport is tagged by huddle name - A and B. When you choose the Activity/Sport to register for, make sure that it matches the huddle of your child
- Students can only participate in ONE activity or sport this season.
- Please only register when already in Moscow. During this season participation limits are placed for each Activity and Sport. By registering and not attending you block participation slots that no other student can use.
- Students not registered will not be able to attend practices.
- The flu season is coming up and we are going to be offering vaccines this year again! Getting your flu vaccine is strongly recommended this year!
- Please help us get enough flu vaccines for our community! Fill out our Flu Vaccination Survey now!
- As of Monday, September 14, students will no longer have to be excluded from campus for 14 days if their family member returns from travel abroad, tested negative for covid, and is showing no symptoms. If a student travels abroad, then that student will still be required to complete a 14 day quarantine and they will not be allowed on campus until that is finished, regardless of covid tests being negative.
- We can send them home with your child;
- We can meet you at the Pokrovsky Hills gate (there will be someone from the Admissions department on duty at the gate on Thursday and Friday this week from 7:45 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.);
- We can arrange to meet you or your designated helper at the main entrance to school. Please call us on +7 495 231 4486, so that we can arrange a mutually convenient time.
UPCOMING EVENTS - MARK YOUR AGENDAS
- 8 - 10AM - PTO TENT/SOUTH FIELD PARKING
- Stop by for a quick hello and a chance to meet the PTO Executive Committee Team and use the opportunity to browse a wide sample of PTO Shop merchandise!
- We will ensure to make this experience a safe one, and if there is a short wait involved prior to entering the tent, you may have a cup of coffee and chat with PTO Executive Members and other parents!
- Stay safe, wear a mask and respect social distancing rules!
- 2 - 3.30PM - PTO TENT/SOUTH FIELD PARKING
- Join us for a casual get together. This will be an opportunity to CONNECT, to meet with other parents, to have fun and to simply enjoy yourself.
- Please let us know if you plan to join by sending email to email@example.com, we will have a small surprise for all of you who sign up!
- We will be waiting for you on 29th/30th of September (depending on your Huddle group), in our PTO tent on the South Field Parking, from 2pm onward, we plan to finish just in time for pick up.
- Do you like drawing, decorating or designing? Do you drink coffee, tea or milk? If at least one of the answers is YES, we are happy to tell you that we need YOU!
- Help us design the most original AAS Coffee Mug - to become our official Community Coffee Mug!
- Think of AAS and our mission statement and use a coffee mug as your canvas.
- We are looking for a penguin drawing, a slogan, a motivational message, or a fun message, et cetera… be creative and think out of the box! Do it yourself or together with your friends.
- Everyone is welcome to participate, the entire AAS community - students, teachers, parents…
- Submit your work to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 10th.
- The winning design will be announced on October 13, at our next Community Coffee.
- Show us your AAS spirit and be part of our AAS MUG COMPETITION!
- Are you looking for AAS uniform items or spirit wear?
- We are happy to offer you the services of our Mobile PTO Shop.
- We are open every week day from 12-3PM, in Pokrovsky Hills, house VV 39.
- You can browse our SAMPLE rack, make sure what size you need and simply fill in the order form.
- Take a photo of your order and send it to our email: PTO.Shop@aas.ru.
- If you need access to Pokrovsky Hills, please contact us at PTO.Shop@aas.ru.
VOLUNTEERING IN PTO
- Do you like to meet new people?
- Be part of your child(ren)’s AAS experience?
- To increase your connection to the school and contribute to building our AAS community?
- If so, help us fill in the following positions:
- Vice President - Internal Affairs
- Committee Secretary.
- Learn more about vacant positions HERE.
- Please send in your statement of interest by September 15 to email@example.com. Sample of interest letter HERE.
- We are looking forward to having you on board!
- And the heart of all we do is YOU!
- Whether you have just a few hours to spare now and then, on a more regular basis, or even just once a year, we definitely have something for you.
- We hold events year round and we are always looking for more people who can help us set up, and generally help the event run smoothly. It is great fun and you will get to meet and interact with a whole range of people. If you are an event volunteer this does not mean you have to help out at every event, you have the option to say yes or no to helping out.
- We are looking for your talents, hobbies, skills, or just your good will and we’d love to hear from you – please get in touch, firstname.lastname@example.org!