remain engaged with potential candidates for future employment,
tell the story of our experiences these past few years in person,
be present so that candidates know that AAS is continuing to provide outstanding learning for our students.
Dear Elementary School Families,
- We would like to thank all of the Room Parents and parent volunteers for the effort you have put into making our Grade Level Holiday Class Parties a wonderful way to end the last day of school for 2019.
Tomorrow, students may wear Holiday Dress or their regular uniforms.
The first day of school for 2020 is Monday, January 13. It will be a Day 2B in the Elementary School.
This Semester, ES Art Students have been introduced to a different approach to art education. Choice Based Art and Teaching for Artistic Behaviours (TAB) places the student at the centre of everything, allowing for greater agency and personalised learning.
Through a choice based approach, and continuing to apply the mantra “You are the artist, and this is your studio”, we believe all students will be more invested, engaged and inspired, as this will appeal even more so, to their natural curiosity and personal interests.
Through allowing choice, and providing more of a ‘workshop’ environment, students can work at their own pace, and with increased independence, whilst meeting curricular objectives.
Throughout the year, we shall focus on the understanding, or Central Idea, that ‘Artists practice a series of behaviours, which lead them through a process, resulting in an artwork which conveys personal meaning to them’.
We will continue to ask ourselves “What do artists do?” and “Where do ideas come from?”
This semester, students have focused on developing their sense of ownership over their artistic experience and environment by practising exploration of materials and tools, organisation of workspace, and the generation of ideas. Students are entirely responsible for thoughtfully planning for, and selecting materials and tools in order to initiate exploration/experimentation, observational and/or imaginative work. Emphasis is also placed on the documentation of achievements, via Seesaw. All pieces are kept, as they provide opportunity for reflection, and are valuable evidence of process.
As we work through the transition to a full choice based program, students are beginning to become familiar with the Studio Habits of Mind which can be directly linked to the National Core Art Standards, PYP learning outcomes and Learner Profile. These are early days, and the depth of exposure and understanding is dependent on individuals and Grade level. The Studio Habits of Mind can be found at the foot of this notice.
To end the Semester, students have been busy producing a W.O.W piece of art. Please view our ES bulletin boards which are currently being adorned with Wonderful Original Works of Art. A W.O.W art work is one which students have committed two to three lessons to, one which they have carefully thought through, planned, gathered feedback, perfected and persevered until the end. With such personal investment in these pieces, students are experiencing a sense of pride in their efforts and learning process. Please take time to enjoy our W.O.W Gallery and subscribe to the ES Art Blog in order to follow our journey through Choice Based Art, in the New Year.
Donna Hinton for 3-5 | email@example.com | Room 2130
- In the last few weeks, we have visited each class in ES to have safety discussions with the students. If you have not done so recently, please have a safety discussion with your family.
- The links below can assist with family discussions.
- Please contact Sharon PK-2 or Donna 3-5 if you have any questions or concerns. Wishing your family a safe and happy holiday season!
Love and Logic Parenting Workshop We invite parents of all ages to join us for Love and Logic Parenting Classes. This is a great workshop that includes reading material, videos, discussions and the opportunity to learn and practice effective parenting skills. It’s a fun time to get with other parents, share the joys, challenges and humor of raising children. We will be running Love and Logic for 6 weeks on Thursday mornings and we encourage that you commit for all 6 sessions if possible as the sessions build upon one another and are most effective when taken as a whole. If you can’t make all 6 you are still welcome to attend and learn some new effective parenting tools. Some parents who have participated in Love and Logic may also be interested in attending some of the sessions as a refresher. All are welcome but please let us know you are coming so we have resources for you.
Calendar & Category Legend:
- Elementary School
Noah Bohnen firstname.lastname@example.org
To all in our community, Happy Holidays, and best wishes to you and your families over the holiday season.
Thursday, December 19 is a Holiday Spirit Day. Students may come out of uniform if they wear something wintery or festive.
Gift box campaign - Thank you for all of your efforts to support our students in the Gift Box Campaign! Today several Grade 8 students are visiting the Vyshegorodskaya Resource School to deliver the gift boxes to the children.
Remember to relax over the break. Enjoy this special time with family and friends. Be safe, and we look forward to everyone returning refreshed and well for the New Year. The first day of school in 2020 is Monday, January 13.
Happy holidays to all MS families. Have a safe and relaxing vacation. And in the spirit of giving that accompanies this holiday season, I’m sharing an article from the current edition of The Atlantic magazine: Teaching Kids Kindness Prepares Them for Success. See you in 2020.
Calendar & Category Legend:
- Middle School
- MS/HS Rotation Days
HS Associate Principal, Matthew Groves email@example.com
What a great run the high school has had since August. Our students have achieved academically, performed nobly, and played their hearts out in numerous concerts and competitions. We are so proud of our students’ accomplishments and the way they consistently represent our school with honor in all that they do.
When vacation approaches, it is always wise to reflect on our achievements and our areas for growth. I hope you and your children take some time over the next few weeks to look back on the last four months and celebrate as well as plan for self-improvement.
Reflection is the heart of learning. Without it, we fail to maximize our growth. With it, we intentionally examine who we are and what we can do to improve ourselves to the best of our ability. Reflection keeps us humble but also gives us the chance to feel good about the growth we have seen in ourselves and around us.
AAS is a place that thrives on achieving Holistic Excellence in our community. We have much to be proud of and much to improve as we begin again in January. Feel free to share your reflections about your family’s journey at AAS with the administration and let us know how we can partner with you in the future. On behalf of the high school, we wish you safe travels and the happiest of winter breaks!
Sean Sonderman firstname.lastname@example.org
Calendar & Category Legend:
- High School
- MS/HS Rotation Days
ES Penguin Clubs
Registration for the Winter Term of Penguin Clubs is now open and closes on January 14, 2020.
Winter Term offerings are comprised of outdoor winter sports and indoor pool activities. Spaces are limited.
Parents are reminded that during Winter Term students may only be registered for 1 club a week.
Winter Term registration link is available on the ES Penguin Life section of our website at https://www.aas.ru/student-life/penguin-life/es
- Here's a direct link to the ES Winter Term Penguin Clubs Registration
Athletics/Aquatics: Kirby Boychuk | email@example.com
- Saturday Swim Program (SSP)
- In order to provide AAS Moscow Aquatics Programs' with our continued safe environments, we are delaying the start of the SSP.
- Our SSP instructors will be involved in instructing and assisting with the Lifeguard certification courses during the month of November and December.
- AAS will have a full squad of Lifeguards ready to GUARD over the Saturday Swim Program starting on January 1.
- Individual Swimming Lessons
- Read ALL INFORMATION in the Individual Swimming Lesson Section of the website
- Registration for Individual Swimming Instruction is now available.
Open 10:00 – 13:00 on the following Saturdays:
Jan. 18, Feb. 1, Mar. 14, Apr.18, May 30, Jun. 13
- Please visit us on Thursday morning for our Breakfast and Browse event, where we provide some coffee and treats and put out all our newest, freshest books just in time for the break.
- Many, many thanks to the PTO for bringing our phenomenal author Laurie Halse Anderson to AAS. Check out the school’s Flickr account to find pictures of her big sessions.
- We’ve just increased checkout limits to 5 books on Overdrive to make sure that you have ample options during the holiday. Stop up anytime if you need some help with it.
- Enjoy your break!
- With Thursday, December 19 being the last day of classes before winter break, we will be arranging the donation of all unclaimed items from the Lost&Found to charity on the first day of break, Friday, December 20.
- AAS Security keeps an inventory of all items in the Lost&Found.
- If you or your child is missing an item, please stop by the main security desk to check if the item has been recovered in the Lost&Found.
Helping Children Learn Through Sensory Integration
Date: Friday, January 24, 2020
Location: Community Room
- Our next meeting is Saturday, December 14, 2019, in the South Cafeteria at 3:00 PM
- This will be a general meeting. Stop by and see what Scouts have to offer.
- Sign up your child K-5th grade and don’t miss out on the next fun adventure.
- Our Girls group is growing. Girls in grades 2-4 are encouraged to join.
- For more information, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Common symptoms reported this week at the Health Office included headache, sore throat, stomachache, nausea, vomiting, and fever.
Season's Greetings and Happy New Year to you all, with best wishes for a wonderful 2020!
PTO Community Coffee
- Thank You to all the parents and leadership team members who joined us yesterday for our holiday coffee morning and celebrations.
- A big thank you to our HS Choir for the holiday carols and Alisher for teaching us about the Speech and Debate program at AAS.
- The Next PTO Community Coffee will be on Tuesday, January 21, at 8:45 in the South Cafeteria.
PTO New Book Fair- Thank you!
The New Book Fair was again a huge success - Thank You Bettina and Victoria for taking the lead and getting a wide variety and favorite books to our children before the holidays.
- ES - Winter holiday parties will be held from 2:30 to 3:30 pm tomorrow (on Thursday, December 19). Please contact your Class Parent if you have any questions or to volunteer to help with the party.
- MS - Thank you to all the MS parents for sending delicious food and a special Thank You to the Seventh-grade parents for helping in setting up and serving food to the MS students for another great MS Social last Friday night. Our students enjoyed the food and had a great time!
- HS - We are continuing serving our grade-wide Holiday lunches to the HS students. Thank you to all the HS parents who are donating food and helping on the days.
Reminder! PTO Charity Matching Fund
- The PTO has a 1:1 matching fund to support the charitable fundraising organized by any student group to benefit one of the many charities supported by our AAS community. If you have been involved in fundraising at school, please do not forget to apply for the matching grant, this could double your fundraising efforts. Click here to learn more.
We are looking for a new PTO Shop manager for the next school year ( 2020-21).
If you're interested in this wonderful opportunity, please email email@example.com.
- The outgoing PTO shop manager will help in full training and provide the opportunity to shadow her.
- Being a volunteer is a great way to meet people, have fun and give back to the AAS community.
- If you are interested in volunteering for the PTO, please contact Ines Cremers (PTO Secretary) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join us in exploring Moscow!
- Every month we offer new activities, new tours - we will visit unique attractions of our host city together, we will have lunch together, we will go and visit theaters together, we will join in sports together, every month something new! Everyone is welcome! Please send an email to email@example.com
- Watch this space for the January Tour.
- A place to swap gently-used ES, MS, and PE uniforms, books, skates, and shoes.
- New! Get your children and yourself ready for the skating season!
- SKATES are available at the PTO Exchange for 6 SwapTickets (or 600rub), as well as a limited number of skate bags.
- Open-air skating rinks are already open in Moscow since the first week of December.
- Click here to view the full information, open hours are Monday-Thursday, 14:45-16:00
- In time for the Holidays!The shop has a new Hoodie and a crew neck T-shirt design available for sale now! These or one of various other T-shirt designs at the shop make perfect presents for friends and family.
- Holiday items are already on display at PTO Shop. Please drop in and have a look.
- Click here to view full information, including opening hours.