Middle School Supplies
Bring Your Own Device
AAS is committed to “current, relevant technologies” and “innovative and effective instructional strategies” (AAS Mission & Vision). In support of this and our commitment to personalized learning at AAS, and in recognition of the vast range of information and communications technology (ICT) resources for learning, AAS is implementing a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program. The BYOD program is designed to help students learn to make responsible decisions about technology use based on their personal learning styles so that technology enhances learning.
Students in Grades 5-12 are required to bring a laptop to enhance instruction and learning (Grade 5 beginning in January 2016). Please read our BYOD Guide here. If you have questions or comments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
BYOD Service Options: The Anglo-American School recognizes the need of BYOD users to seek device service and support beyond the IT support provided for BYOD users on-campus. Please click here to view information that is publicly available on the Internet, collected in one document for your convenience.
Office 365: We're pleased to announce that all AAS users (students and staff) now have access to Microsoft Office 365 via their AAS user accounts. Office 365 is the cloud-based version of their popular Office suite Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Lync.) Please click here for instructions to install Office 365 using your AAS user credentials.
Minimum Recommended Specifications
The following chart should help you in selecting and purchasing an Internet learning device. The minimum recommended specifications will allow students to use our core set of web tools: Outlook Web Access Email, Google Apps for Education, Penguin Portal, Moodle, and NetClassroom. Please note that creating and editing media, such as audio, video, images, and 3D graphics, will require a more powerful device with higher RAM, greater storage, and more advanced software.
- Functionality: Wireless connectivity, integrated full-key keyboard, webcam & microphone, audio in/out (headphones), 6-hour battery life, Internet browser, Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader
- Hardware: Processor (Intel Core I-3, I-5, or I-7); data ports (USB 3.0, HDMI); storage capacity (64 GB or more), RAM (4 GB or more recommended), USB mouse, 8+ hour battery life; protective cover/case, lightweight (under 2 kg).
- Software: video editing, photo editing, antivirus/malware protection.
- Other: warranty/insurance (1-3 years)
Note: The minimum recommended specifications may increase from one year to the next.
Supplies and Textbooks
The school provides all the textbooks that a student will need during the year. To protect books and materials from poor weather and regular wear and tear students should have a book bag or backpack to carry their supplies to and from school.
Here is the list of supplies that Middle School faculty suggests each student has to work with during the year. Please note that most of the supplies below are readily available in Moscow. (Asterisked items may be best purchased in your home country). Students who bring their own laptop to school may prefer to install dictionary software instead of the bilingual dictionaries mentioned below..
- Pens (blue, black and red)
- Pencils with erasers
- *Colored pencils
- Geometry set (protractor, compass etc.)
- Metric ruler
- *For ESOL students, a bilingual dictionary, electronic translator, or a dictionary app
- Scientific calculator
- Pencil case, clearly labeled with the student’s name
- Liquid paper / white out
- Lined paper (A4) - useful for home
- Graph paper (A4) - useful for home
- *French/English dictionary or a dictionary app if studying French
- *Spanish/English dictionary or a dictionary app if studying Spanish
- Russian/English dictionary or a dictionary app if studying Russian
- Name tags (sew-on or iron-on) for school and PE uniforms
For PE class, students will need supportive gym shoes with non-marking soles. PE uniforms for all divisions consist of a red AAS t-shirt (available for purchase in the PTO store) and black exercise pants or shorts. The t-shirts may be purchased at the AAS PTO store. If you are new to Moscow it is recommended that you buy the shorts/track pants before arriving in Moscow. If you currently live in Moscow, most sports stores do have a selection of black shorts/track pants. Students will also need ice skates with skate guards and appropriate outdoor clothes.
Generally, instrumental music students supply their own instrument. The school does have some instruments available for loan, but these supplies are limited and may not match the instrument your son or daughter wishes to play. Please visit the Music page to learn more about our instrumental music program.