Grade 10 Timeline
August - September
- Think about your strengths and about subject areas that may interest you. What careers could these subjects possibly lead to?
- Choose the most challenging course load you can handle based on your interests.
- Do the best you possibly can in all of your classes.
- Remember—whether your university will look at grades from all four years of high school or not, your choices for IB will be based on the work you do now.
- Get to know your teachers and counselors—they are the people in the school who can help you navigate high school and the college application process.
- Participate fully in all advisory activities. They are set up to help you gain the skills you need to successfully complete high school and move on to higher education.
- Join extra-curricular activities like sports teams, yearbook, MUN, theater, etc. Universities and colleges are interested in what you like to do outside of the classroom. They like to see commitment to activities starting from the beginning of high school. Also it is a great way to meet people who share the same interests, and it will help you feel like you are a part of the greater AAS community.
- Prepare to take the PSAT test on the third Wednesday in October. This is great practice for taking the PSAT again in 11th grade, and other standardized university entrance exams in the future.
- Continue thinking about your interests, doing well in classes, and getting involved in school activities.
- Visit the counseling office to start looking at some information about colleges and universities that might have courses you like.
November - June
- Class work, extra-curricular activities, self-exploration.
- Start compiling information into an activities resume that you can use for college application purposes or for getting internships.
- Travel, do community service, take courses on a college campus, find a job.
- Do any or all of the above.
- READ!! Reading is one of the best ways to improve vocabulary and keep your mind active and limber over the summer.
- Enjoy yourself!