In the Fall Season the Learn2Swim program is currently offered for swimmers of all ages and skill levels from Kindergarten and Grade 1.
- Evaluations: All students must register and attend an evaluation session (even if you participated in previous years)
- Winter Season Start/End Date: November 15 - February 17
Each swimmer is grouped according to his or her swimming ability. Swimmers will advance to the next level when he or she meets the criteria of his or her current level and passes the Exit Swim Assessment and the end of each term.
Level 1 (Introduction to Water Skills)
- Swimmers will swim in the shallow pool only. Orient participants to the aquatic environment and help them gain basic aquatic skills. Help participants begin to develop positive attitudes and safe practices around water.
- During this activity children discover water in a variety of different approaches and get prepared for the big pool. They focus on floats, blowing bubbles, kicking, swimming with a noodle and preparing to feel confident in the deep water.
- At this level, participants start developing positive attitudes, good swimming habits and safe practices in and around the water.
Level 2 (Fundamental Aquatics Skills)
- The objective of Level 2 is to give participants success with fundamental aquatic skills and to build on the basic aquatic skills and water safety skills and concepts learned in Level 1.
- This class is taught in the shallow water opposite the starting blocks using platforms so participants can stand up in water that is 1.2 meters deep.
- Participants learn to float without support and to recover to a vertical position. This level marks the beginning of true locomotion skills. Participants further develop simultaneous and alternating arm and leg actions on the front and back that lay the foundation for future strokes.
- As in all levels, participants learn additional safety skills and improve comprehension of previous knowledge.
Level 3 (Stroke Development)
- The objective of Level 3 is to build on the skills learned in Levels 1 and 2 to help participants achieve basic water competency in a pool environment
- Participants learn to survival float and swim freestyle, elementary backstroke and sidestroke. In addition, participants build on the fundamentals of treading water.
Level 4 (Stroke Improvement)
- The objective of Level 4 is to improve participants’ proficiency in performing the swimming strokes that were introduced in Level 3
- Participants will be also learning breaststroke and backstroke, as well as diving and submerging under water.
Level 5 (Stroke Refinement)
- The objective of Level 5 is to help participants refine their performance of all six swimming strokes (i.e., front crawl, back crawl, butterfly, breaststroke, elementary backstroke and sidestroke).
- Designed to improve stroke technique, aerobic fitness, and to have fun in the water.
- The instructor will provide a workout plan, and this can be customized to meet the individual goals of each participant.
- Level 5 also includes the Life Saver and Water Safety modules, that are designed to raise awareness for water safety and introduce participants to lifeguarding.
- How many times per week can my child swim?
- How does my child get to and from the pool?
- If my child is in Learn to Swim in Fall Season, are they automatically enrolled for Winter and Spring Seasons?
- I don’t know if my child is ready for Learn to Swim. How can I find out?
- My child has been on a swim team before. S/he is an excellent swimmer and I was too late for sign-ups. Can’t you allow just one more?
- I tried signing up for Learn to Swim, but the system says that it is already full. What can I do?
- My child was registered in one of the swim programs last year, do they need to be evaluated again?